National PTA Names Gulledge Elementary a 2017-2019 National PTA School of Excellence!
We are excited to announce that Gulledge Elementary has been named a National PTA School of Excellence! As a National PTA School of Excellence, Gulledge made significant progress to welcome and empower families to support student success and school improvements during the course of the 2016-2017 school year.
About the National PTA School of Excellence Program:
WHAT IS IT?: School of Excellence is a National PTA program that supports and celebrates partnerships between PTA and school to enrich the educational experience and overall well-being for all students.
We are excited to make meaningful positive changes within our community! If you have any questions, want to be involved, or would like more information, contact Communications@GulledgePTA.org.
WHY IT MATTERS: Because Family Engagement = Student Success. Nurturing family-school partnerships is the core of the National PTA School of Excellence program. Research shows that family engagement supports student success. Regardless of income or background, when families are consistently involved in their children’s education, students are more likely to:
- Earn higher grades
- Attend school regularly
- Enroll in higher level classes
- Develop stronger social skills
- Graduate from high school and go on to postsecondary education
- Secure productive work and rewarding careers
HOW WE CAN WORK TOGETHER: PTA’s National Standards (below) for Family-School Partnerships were developed with national experts and reflect the research about how parents, schools and communities can work together to support student achievement. They include the following: Click here for specific tasks related to each standard!
- Standard 1: Welcoming All Families Into the School Community. Families are active participants in the life of the school and feel welcomed, valued and connected to each other, to school staff and to what students are learning and doing in class.
- Standard 2: Communicating Effectively. Families and school staff engage in regular, two-way, meaningful communication about student learning.
- Standard 3: Supporting Student Success. Families and school staff continuously collaborate to support students’ learning and healthy development both at home and at school, and they have regular opportunities to strengthen their knowledge and skills to do so effectively.
- Standard 4: Speaking Up for Every Child. Families are empowered to be advocates for their own and other children, to ensure that students are treated fairly and have access to learning opportunities that will support their success.
- Standard 5: Sharing Power. Families and school staff are equal partners in decisions that affect children and families and together inform, influence and create policies, practices and programs.
- Standard 6: Collaborating With Community. Families and school staff collaborate with community members to connect students, families and staff to expanded learning opportunities, community services and civic participation.
GOALS AND OBJECTIVES: Our goal is to enrich the educational experience and overall well-being of students. We will achieve that goal by forming family-school partnerships that leverage community resources to strengthen family engagement in supporting student and school success.
- Make our school a more welcoming place for families.
- Engage families in a way that makes a substantial, positive impact on your school and student success.
- Empower families to be part of school decision-making.
- Demonstrate to school leaders that PTA is a key partner for continuous school improvements.
Interested? Contact Communications@GulledgePTA.org.