Reflections 2019-2020: Look Within
Gulledge Elementary PTA is proud to participate in
The National PTA believes all children deserve a quality arts education and encourages students to pursue artistic expression through participation in its Annual Reflections Program. The Texas Reflections program has the most participation of any National PTA program with entries totaling over 75,000 across the state. The program offers students the opportunity to create works of art for fun and recognition.
In its more than 50-year history, the program has encouraged millions of students across the nation and in American schools overseas to create works of art - a great learning experience! When children express themselves through words, pictures, movement, music, photography and other art forms, they grow intellectually. They learn to analyze their thoughts, feelings and ideas. They learn to look at things, people and experiences in a fresh and exciting way and they become more interested in the ideas and works of others. Explore REFLECTIONS impact since its inception in 1969 by watching this video.
This year's Reflections Theme is "Look Within". Students can choose from the following categories: Dance Choreography, Music, Literature, Photography or Visual Arts.
- Literature – Fiction or nonfiction, prose, poetry, drama, or short story (must not exceed 2,000 words or 8 ½ x 11 inches)
- Visual Arts – Original print, drawing, painting, collage, photographic collage, metal etching or punch work, fiber work, or computer-generated artwork (must be flat, not more than 3/8 inches thick, maximum size 24 x 30 inches including a mat)
- Photography – Original black-and-white or color image, single print or collage (maximum size 11 x 14 inches including a mat)
- Musical Composition –Voice, instruments or a combination of both, with or without lyrics (maximum time 5 minutes, a CD recording of a performance of the composition should be submitted.)
- Dance Choreography – Original dance choreographed by the student with up to 3 dancers. (maximum time 5 minutes, should be submitted on a CD or DVD)
- Film Production – Original work, animation, narrative, documentary, experimental, computer-generated (no PowerPoint, maximum time 5 minutes, CD or DVD)
As with any student activity, parent involvement and support are very important. But parents must remember that student artists need to create their own works. Children must make their own decisions about what to create and what to enter in the Reflections Program. By creating their own literature, musical composition, photography, the visual arts, dance choreography, and film/video, children not only learn about the arts, more importantly, they learn about themselves.
FORMAT AND RULES
Before you begin your art, please read all the information on this site and check the rules here:
Special Artist Rules
Single Page Rules
Artwork that does not follow the guidelines will be disqualified and this includes important things like:
- Do not write your name on the art work (it goes on the entry form)
- Size limits for visual art
- Time limits for performance art
- Students can submit only one piece of art in any/all areas
- Please note that if the student's art work is chosen to move to the next level of competition then the student or one parent must be a member of PTA (PTA membership fees is only $10 and can be purchased anytime).
COMPLETE THE STUDENT ENTRY FORM
Each entry must be accompanied by an entry form. Entry forms can be found HERE.
- Be sure your parents’ contact information is listed.
- Don’t forget to write an artist statement on your form. This is very important to the judges to really get a feel of what you are expressing in your art.
DEADLINE: All entries must be submitted to the Gulledge Front Office by Monday, October 28 @ 8am.
Don’t let anything prevent you from sharing your story!
If any questions about the program or want to volunteer, please feel free to contact Jinal or Arti at: email@example.com
REFLECTIONS CONTEST WINNERS!
The year 2019 marked the 50th anniversary of the National PTA Reflections program. The Reflections program encourages students to "Explore the Arts and Express Yourself". This year students were challenged to Look Within. Gulledge PTA received 50 entries, of which 15 received the Award of Excellence and will advance to the district level competition. All Reflections participants and winners will be celebrated at a schoolwide assembly in January.
Congratulations to our 2019-20 Reflections contest winners! Click here to enlarge the document.
UPDATE: We are delighted and honored to announce that out of the 15 entries for Reflections sent to compete at the district level, 13 entries have won awards (please see table below). These 13 students will be recognized in a special ceremony in April at the Sockwell Centre. All artwork in the Visual Arts category will be displayed at the school during Open House on March 5, 2020.
Further, we would like you to join in offering our most heartfelt congratulations to our very own Addison S. who has been selected to move forward to the state level competition for his composition "Save this for Halloween" in the Music Category. Congratulations Addison!
Questions? Contact Jinal or Arti at firstname.lastname@example.org