WATCH D.O.G.S. ® (Dads Of Great Students) is an innovative father involvement, educational initiative. There are 2 primary goals of the WATCH D.O.G.S. ® program.
1) To provide positive male role models for the students, demonstrating by their presence that education is important.
2) To provide extra sets of eyes and ears to enhance school security and reduce bullying.
- Students gain positive male role models.
- Schools gain an extra set of eyes and ears. The presence of a father or father figure will provide an additionaldeterrent to bullying, enhance a sense of security in the building, and will help to create an environmentconducive to learning.
- Fathers get a glimpse of their students’ everyday world and learn about the increasingly complex challengesand decisions today’s youth are facing. As a result, they can learn to relate better to their student andhopefully connect with them.
- Fathers gain a greater awareness of the positive impact they can have on their student’s life in three criticalareas including: academic performance, self-esteem, social behavior.
- Due to budget shortfalls and cutbacks, often teachers are presented with larger classrooms each year. WatchDOGS volunteers provide real and important help for the teachers and the students.
- WatchDOGS are fathers, grandfathers, uncles, and other father-figures who volunteer for at least one day each year at an official WATCH D.O.G.S. ® school.
- During the day, WatchDOGS may read and work on flash cards with students, play at recess, eat lunch with students, watch the school entrances and hallways, assist with traffic flow and any other assigned activities where they actively engage with not only their own students, but other students as well. Many school principals have reported that the mere presence of a WatchDOG dramatically reduces reports of bullying.
- On the day of their participation, WatchDOGS are given a brief review of their involvement and they wear an official WATCH D.O.G.S. ® t-shirt with a disposable ‘Dog Tag’ identifying them as WatchDOGS.